Left side pain is a natural warning signal that is intended to prevent further damage of our body. Physicians divide the left side of an abdominal area into lower and upper quadrants. So a human being may suffer from upper left side pain or lower left side pain. Both of them indicate that something is going wrong in the human organism. The true cause of pain can be diagnosed only by a highly qualified doctor. What can a person do if he/she feels spasms of pain in the left side? What organ is damaged? What has caused internal disfunction? In this article we are going to explain basic reasons of left side pain and provide you with knowledge of main processes that are going on in the human body.
Left Side Pain under Thorax
Pain under thorax is distinguished by its suddenness and intensity. Never panic! Only on a basis of a proper medical investigation a highly qualified physician can identify the nature of your pain. The possible causes might be:
1) If the pain begins in the back and gradually moves forward, it may be a sign of a stone in the left kidney. A lot of people get kidney stones regularly. Our nutrition is responsible for stone formation. The main reasons are low water intake and high intake of refined sugar, animal protein and carbonatedwater. Men belong to the high risk group at the age of 30-40, women — later.
2) Rib damage is usually easy to diagnose. The injury is accompanied with skin bruising. So it is comparatively simple to understand what kind of doctor you should visit.
3) Spleen damage is a very dangerous injury as it produces red blood cells. The organ is an important part of the immune system. Abdominal pain can be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, difficult breathing and faintness.
4) Viral hepatitis indicators are pain under ribs, yellow skin and dark urine. A person infected with viral hepatitis needs medical treatment as soon as possible. The disease is easily transmitted by contact with an infected person.
5) Gas presence always leads to pain and discomfort. Pain caused by gas that is blocked in the left side of the body is brief and very intense. Sometimes pain may last for months or even years accompanied by periods of severe cramps, that’s why it can be mistaken for a sign of a more serious disease.
Left Side Pain during Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a natural condition of a woman’s body; nevertheless, it can be quite uncomfortable for a woman. Every expectant mother can make a few solid complaints about morning nausea or back pain. The point all expectant mothers are afraid of is abdominal pain. No wonder, they worry about their babies. Can pain during pregnancy be normal? What can cause discomfort and pain of a pregnant woman?
One problem that can cause pain in the left side is very dangerous for life of a pregnant woman. It is connected with the implantation of fertilized eggs in the inappropriate places such as fallopian tube, cervix, ovaries and abdomen. These are the cases of life-threatening emergency. A doctor should take measures to save a woman’s life. Such pregnancy complication is called an ectopic pregnancy. It is characterized by pain in the left side that begins on the sixth week of pregnancy and grows with time becoming excruciating.
Other common reasons that can be indicated by pain are connected with a state of an expectant mother’s health. During pregnancy all internal organs are squashed. There is not enough room for them. And all chronic diseases as well as predilections show their worth. Suffering from pain in the left side can indicate kidney stones, food poisoning, appendicitis, pancreatitis, gall bladder problems, stomach flu, constipation, etc. Common pain for all pregnant women is back pain. In most cases an expectant mother shouldn’t worry about it. Back pain is quite normal and can be easily explained by back overexertion. Sometimes back pain can be also caused by stress. It is strongly recommended for the pregnant women to learn some relaxation techniques.
Preterm labor and miscarriage might also begin with sharp pain in the left side, but in such cases a pregnant woman will have also other symptoms: bleeding, spotting, fever, chills or nausea. If a pregnant woman feels sharp pain in the left side and has one of these additional symptoms, she should immediately visit a doctor.